Thursday, May 27, 2010

Summer...Sort of.


One month later- and so much has happened! To start off, I ran the Providence Marathon!!! For those of you who have been following along (or have read any of my older posts) you know that I had been training for the marathon since September. That’s right, 26.2 miles. And trust me, it’s a lot longer than it sounds. (Although it sounds pretty long to say) And the “.2 “ at the end of that 26- feels like eternity. But I did it! 4 hours and 6 minutes later, I passed the finish line in downtown Providence. It was the best/ worst feeling of my life. My sister actually qualified to run Boston next year. I am deciding whether or not to put myself through training again and try to find an in to run Boston with her next year. It was the hardest thing I have ever done (And the most painful, especially after the fact). Recovering was awful. But it gave me a great excuse to eat anything and everything. “I can eat that, I just burned 3000 calories” was my saying of the week. A little counter-productive. I took only one week off of running- but it took a lot longer for my muscles to feel better. I took up yoga my first week of recovery- and it definitely helped me with stretching and getting back out there. School finished up, I had my 21st birthday, and now I am now officially a senior. Crazy. I am trying not to think about that too much right now, but graduating is getting closer and closer. Working full time over the summer is a taste of life after college. It is nice to be done after 5 for the day, without having to worry about schoolwork or papers, but I am not used to the same routine everyday. Getting up at 6:30 is not my favorite thing to do. Welcome to the real world.

I am loving my internship, though. I have learned so much about marketing and public relations. I am planning to keep working here through next year, too. Hopefully I will be able to get class credit for it again in the fall. My schedule is going to be rough- per usual.

One more science lab to get out of the way! I am also taking New Media New Markets, and Public Relations II. What’s strange is throughout my whole career at Suffolk, I have been a PR major, and never questioned it. Now I work at a marketing consulting firm, and I am thinking I really should have been a business major all along. But I guess if they both would have gotten me to the same place, it doesn’t really matter. It’s something to think about when picking your majors. I would have been miserable trying to get through economics and math classes for four years. I guess what I am saying is, many majors at Suffolk can result in so many different jobs after college. I don’t think it’s what you are studying at school that really matters, as much the experience you are getting through school and the internships you do. So don’t stress if you still have no idea what you want to do. I’m sure more than half of the seniors that just graduated still have no idea, either.

I will post throughout the summer if anything interesting happens- although I am not really counting on it.

I am off to an Aquafina Flavor Splash party for work!

Happy summer!


Hay








No comments:

"The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Suffolk University."